We received word from the team last night following a long gap in comms. This gap was starting to concern some of us as they were supposed to be down the mountain and enjoying the relative comfort of Union Glacier. Like the team said before, to be successful you must also return safely. In this instance the weather closed in again and they’ve been unable to move from Base Camp for some days now for safety reasons. While they were riding out the worst of the weather, a few tents were damaged or destroyed, making things a little cosier for everyone. However, they are warm, well and have enough supplies and morale to last until they land at Union Glacier which may be just one or two horizons away.
It’s now a question of weather and luck. With their sights firmly set on somewhere with less snow, they must sit tight once more and wait for the illusive weather window. That may come as early as today (13th December) but as ever, the wind, visibility and contrast between snow and sky must be sufficient for the little ski plane to land on the strip at Base Camp. They are hopeful, but now have a little more time on their side if the weather window doesn’t come as planned, because the next available Ilyushin flight from Union Glacier will be Friday 15th December. Weather permitting of course!
The team are cognisant that although the hard yards are done, they still need to focus. During the long hours of boredom in their sleeping bags, they are fighting the urge to think of the places they should be right now, rather than where they are (still). They’re still in an isolated location in Antarctica, and must work as a team to mitigate everything that comes with it. They are overwhelmed by your support and wish everyone well. We look forward to hearing from them soon!